Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Orange Roses"

Sold
"Orange Roses"
9 x 12 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
These orange roses were so much fun to paint.  I always find that roses and flowers push me the most in painting and this painting was no exception.  From the size of the canvas, to the amount of roses to paint in one session, it was very challenging.  Roses are so beautiful in their shape, colors, and intensity, it makes a delight to paint.  Roses can get pretty tricky to paint at times but I learn so much every time I paint them.  
I started with a rough drawing in the beginning I didn't want to get to detailed in this stage because I know I'll get most of the details with the paints.  Once the drawing was complete I stated the general colors for all the roses and stems, I keep the paints fairly thin at this stage not going to thick.  The colors I used were cad.orange, viridian, raw umber and cad. yellow.
Then I stated the background with cerulean blue, naples yellow and titanium white.  Once the background is complete I started on the right roses stating the darker values and their specific forms, I concentrate on just the middle to darker values leaving the lights for the next stage.
Once the darks are taken to completion I start on the lighter values and their specific forms.  I repeat the same process with the roses to the right, again starting with the darker values and their specific forms.
Then paint in the lighter values and their specific forms and take the roses to completion.  Once the roses are done I start on the leaves, stems and vase.  I start with the darkest values and their specific forms.
Then I add the lighter values and their specific forms and take the painting to a finish.  It was fun painting this one and loved the challenges it brought.  I hope you enjoyed this one as much as I did, thanks for stopping by and viewing.  





2 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

So beautiful!

Judy Palermo said...

Hi Jonathan- beautiful work, as usual! By the way, I've been having problems leaving comments on your blog lately- it makes me Anonymous, or it won't link me.