Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"Nectarines"

Sold
"Nectarines"
5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
I wanted to continue the paring of fruits since the previous pair resembled nectarines so much.  The whole time I was painting I thought wow these really do look like nectarines.  That's the reason I wanted to paint actual nectarines for todays alla prima session.  Today was a bit challenging to paint these in natural light, the weather was cloudy for most of the day and pretty gloomy at times.  I wanted to stay true to painting in this manner even though it got pretty dim the colors were still pretty true to the original.
I wanted to let you guys know I'll be doing a demo on Thursday September 22 at Dick Blick in Edina from 1-4 p.m.  I think I might do a rose or fruit painting still undecided on what to paint, any suggestions?   Hope to see you guys there! 
I started with the usual dry brush approach using a bit of raw umber on the brush.  Once the drawing is complete I stated the background and nectarines with its general colors.  The colors I used were ultramarine blue, naples yellow, titanium white, burnt sienna, cad.red light, and cad.yellow light.
Then I stated the darker values with their specific forms, the colors I used for this section were burnt sienna, cad.red light, raw umber and ultramarine blue.  Then I added the lighter values with their specific forms, the colors I used were titanium white and cad.yellow light.
I repeated the process with the second nectarine after the first one is completed.
After the nectarines are completed I stated the wooden board with its general colors, the colors I used were raw umber and burnt sienna.  Then I stated the darker values with their specific values, the colors I used were ultramarine blue and burnt sienna.
Then I stated the lighter values with their specific values, the colors I used were titanium white, naples yellow, burnt sienna and cobalt blue.  This is the finished painting and really happy with the result.  The lighting was an issue in the beginning but it was just something to figure out and able to work through.  As stated in previous posts painting in this manner is addicting, I love the colors one is able to see with natural light and how subtle value shifts are presented.  Thanks for stopping by and viewing, hope you enjoyed this one. 
Picture of the setup.






2 comments:

Pamela Hunt Lee said...

they look good enough to eat!

Crystal J. said...

I always enjoy looking at all your studies. You have amazing skills.