Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"Roses"

Sold
"Roses"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
These roses I gave to my wonderful girlfriend, she just got a promotion at her job and wanted to surprise her.  She brought it home after a while which I'm glad for, seeing how beautiful they are I had to paint them.  I've been painting fruits on marble for a while and wanted to re-visit flowers, painting marble is fun but you have to be very meticulous with every section of it or its not going to look right.  It's great practice as mentioned in previous posts but I do need a little break from painting them so much.  These roses are beautiful in shape and color, each pedal has its own value scale that can be challenging after so many.  I feel after painting marble for a while I can tackle on anything, funny thing is I said the same thing when I finished painting peonies.  I'm finding when painting new objects that it has its own characteristics, you have to just break it down and simplify it in order to better understand what you'r painting.  
I wanted to remind everyone again that I will be giving a live demo at the Uptown Art Fair, it'll be on August 5 which is this Friday from 1-5 p.m.  It'll be great to see you guys there!  I will also be teaching a still life and figure drawing workshops at the Bloomington Art Center, if anyone's interested you can now sign up for the classes.  Click here to sign up!
I started with the usual dry brush approach using no mediums and just a bit of raw umber on the brush, I went a little further with the drawing to get more of an accurate placement of shapes.  When the drawing was complete I stated the background using ultramarine blue, naples yellow and titanium white.  
Then I started on the roses all at once after the background was finished, I stated a thin layer of the middle value to give a base I can paint from.  Then I started stating the darker values with their specific forms, i'm slowly building up the paint and keeping my edges soft.
Then I state the lighter values and their specific forms and take the roses to a finish.  With the darker and lighter values before I state their complete tones, I start with a middle value first and lightly build to the final value I'm going for.  This allows me to keep control through out each stage.
Then I state the two little flowers on the sides and repeat the same process as I did with the larger ones.  The colors I used for the flowers where quinacridone magenta, cad. red light, ivory black and titanium white.  Then I start to paint in the leaves, I start with a thin coat of the middle value.  Painting the middle values first allows me to have a base where I can easily go lighter or darker.  
Then I stated the darker values with their specific forms and when that was complete did the same with the lighter values.  The colors I used where ivory black, viridian, ultramarine blue, cad. yellow and titanium white.
I used the same colors for the vase and also the same process, as you can see with the first picture just stated a middle general value.  Again when stating this middle value keep the paint thin so you can build up to it, its the age old rule thick over thin.
This is the finished painting after adding the lighter values with their specific values.  I really do enjoy painting flowers, it really pushes me to try new things with my technique.  I thoroughly enjoy experimenting new approaches with my technique, I don't think one can never be to content with their own skill level.  If I was then I wouldn't be pushing my self and always trying to get better, and to me thats half the battle.  I hope you enjoyed this one as much as I did, thanks for stopping by and viewing!







No comments: