Friday, August 12, 2011

"Leaning Pear"

Sold
"Leaning Pear"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
Walking along the grocery store today pears stood out to me more than usual, I guess because of their textures I was intrigued to paint them again.  They remind me of painting marble the way you have to be subtle with each tone and stroke.  Pears are difficult in their own right to paint, they have so much subtle textures that are challenging to control.  Needless to say its good practice to paint them.  I also decided to bring back the wooden board rather than paint then marble top.  It's been a while since i've painted this board painting the grains and its textures was fun for the most part.
I started with the usual dry brush approach using no mediums and a bit of raw umber.  I stated the background first once the drawing was complete, the colors I used were cerulean blue, naples yellow and titanium white.
I then started on the first pair by just stating general colors first, I'm not concerned with the lightest and darkest values at this stage just turning the form with the overall colors.  I also keep the paints fairly thin at this stage, it's easier to build up paint on top once the bottom layer is thin.  Then I added the darker values with their specific forms.  The colors I used were burnt sienna, yellow ochre, viridian, cad.yellow light, raw umber and ivory black.
Then I stated the lighter values with their specific forms, I also added a bit of highlights with titanium white.  Once the first pear is complete I started on the second pear by repeating the same process.  I also use the same colors except burnt sienna.
After the big form modeling is complete with middle values, I start with the darker values with their specific forms.  Once that stage is complete I start with the lighter values and their specific forms.  
Once the pears are complete I started on the wooden board, again just stating the general colors first and modeling the form.  Then I added the darker values with their specific forms.
I then added the lighter values with their specific forms, the colors I used for the board were burnt sienna, cad. orange, raw umber, cerulean, titanium white, and ivory black.  It was nice to paint these guys again, reminds me of my older alla prima's I used to paint.  Never gets old painting these fruits, and also eating them afterwards.  Thanks for stopping by and viewing, hope you enjoyed!





2 comments:

duanetheartist said...

I really like the colors on this one! Nice work!

Nuria Mejias said...

Hello Jonathan, What a wonderful work! Congratulations!