Monday, January 30, 2012

"Blood Oranges"

Sold
"Blood Oranges"
6 x 8 in 
Oil on Canvas Panel
I have not painted blood oranges in a while and wanted to challenge myself by painting there subtle and hard textures.  I also was looking forward into painting the reds within the oranges, I think those two combination work well together.  My approach to this painting is different than what I've been doing lately, it's more of the way I painted when I first started doing these alla prima's.  It was nice to change it up and go back to my old approach, I still think it's great to paint in this way it allows you to concentrate in one section and take it to a finish before moving onto the next.  It's easy to just jump around and work on other areas which will just keep you going in circles, this approach allows you to just paint a certain section and not move until its complete.  Time to keep experimenting with my old and new technique, see what I can get from the two once their meshed together.  
I started with the usual dry brush approach using no mediums and a bit of raw umber on the brush.  Once the drawing was complete I stated the background my using ultramarine blue and titanium white.
Then I started by concentrating on one section at a time, normally I would do big form modeling at this stage.  I forced myself not to move from this section until it was completely done.  I started with a thin application of the areas that I was laying in first, slowly I build the thickness and opacity I'm looking for. Once the shadows are complete I move onto the middle to lighter values of the orange.  I'm being sensitive to the brush strokes and edges they create, I want to keep the transitions smooth and not get to thick in the beginning.  The colors I used in this section were cad.orange, naphthol red, cad.red, raw umber, and cad.yellow pale hue.
I then added the highlights to the orange and took it to a complete finish.  When adding the highlights or layers on top of the beginning layers you have to be soft to the touch, try not to pick up the paint that's already laid down, think of it as a build up of layers that's creating a three dimensional illusion.  The softer you apply pressure to the brush the more blend it will create and you also get better brush control.  Once the first orange is complete I move onto the second one, repeating the same process as I did with the first.
Once the second one is complete I move onto the darkest part of the base, I only concentrate in this section and take it to a finish before moving onto the next.  The colors I used were ivory black, raw umber, titanium white, ultramarine blue, and cad.orange.  
I then added the top of the base with its highlights as well, the colors I used in this section were ivory black, raw umber, titanium white and ultramarine blue.  When adding the lighter sections and even the cast shadows I had to be careful with the silhouette of the oranges.  Certain sections you have to just slow down and take your time, this section was definitely one of those instances.  This approach is more time consuming and really forces you to slow down with each section, its great in order to get into that painting mind set.  As mentioned in the opening paragraph i'm looking forward to see how I can mesh this approach with my current one, I'll definitely keep you posted.  Thanks for stopping by and viewing, hope you enjoyed this one.





1 comment:

Ederson Cruz said...

Thank you...thanks very much!!The Oranges are a inspiration for me. Congratulations with the paint and help. Hug!