Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Lady Finger Bananas"

Sold
"Lady Finger Bananas"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
This is the second version of baby bananas painting, a friend of mine told me there actual name is "Lady Finger Bananas".  This composition was interesting in many ways, to paint these fruits in a view where there not so noticeable made it fun.  I like doing that at times deconstructing the subject matter by changing the composition with a unique look.  The subtle values of yellows to greens became a bit of a challenge to paint with such subdued tones, a great challenge overall to a delicious and beautiful fruit.
I started with the usual dry brush approach using raw umber and no mediums for the drawing stage.  After the drawing is complete I started with the medium values not painting the darkest and lightest values.  The colors I used where cad. yellow pale hue, viridian, and raw umber.  The reason I did not state any darker values such as ivory black or lighter values with titanium white, is because I wanted to work out the middle values which can be the most complicated values to get overall.
Then I stated the darker values including the wooden base.  Then I added the middle values and filled in the background.
I then stated the overall value patterns for the base. after that I stated the lighter values and took it to a finish.
Then I went back into the bananas and added the finishing details.  I also wanted to mention when finishing this painting I was aware of the edges all around the bananas, blurring some areas to push back and sharpening others to have more of a focus.  Edges as I've mentioned before are vital in a painting, they can do so much for your painting always pay close attention to them.  Thanks for stopping by I hope you enjoyed this one!




5 comments:

Karl S said...

These are great Jonathan and thanks for continuosly showing us the process you use to create the paintings

Delilah said...

Great Bananas.I have tried to paint a banana a few times I just could not get the interest that you have captured here. Thank you for sharing this great painting with us and also I never knew they were called lady fingers, I love trivia.

Anonymous said...

Love the way you take every day items and turn them into works of art. Makes you start looking at things more closely. Great step by steps.

April Jarocka said...

Absolutely DID enjoy this one. Thanks!

Unknown said...

really really amazing. So glad I found your blog! I am currently attending the Academy of Realist Art under someone who Studied at the Angel Academy as well. I really enjoy the way you photograph the process!