Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"Follow the Leader"

Sold
"Follow the Leader"
8 x 10 in 
Oil on Canvas Panel
I wanted to continue painting these beautiful raspberries for another session, I really like the intense colors within the raspberries and their textures.  This time I wanted to incorporate the blue and red cloths I've painted in previous paintings, as they're challenging every time I paint them I was looking forward to them.  It's funny how each of these alla prima's I'm always finding out different ways to approach certain areas, there's some consistency in the approach but the execution can vary from one texture to the other.  That's the beauty of these little guys just when you think you've figure it out a new painting comes along and throws you in a twist.  I also want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and wish everyone the very best with their family and loved ones.  I'm excited to eat so much and not be able to move afterwards, nothing beats being with the family and eating to a point where you can't think straight.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I started with the usual dry brush approach using no mediums and a bit of raw umber on the brush.  When the drawing is complete I stated the background and cloths, the colors I used for the background were ultramarine blue, naples yellow and titanium white.  For the blue cloth I used ultramarine blue, cobalt, and ivory black.  For the red cloth I used naphthol red, cad.red light, and ivory black.  When dealing with the cloths in the initial stages I laid down the fall of light with its general colors, I'm only worried about making the form turn and stating the shadow shapes.  I also make sure to leave my edges soft if your edges are hard it limits the form from turning, in later stages you can harden your edges to show texture or more contrast between forms.  In this stage I already added the shadow shapes and developed them to a further finish, I did the big form modeling and darker values stages together.
Then I add lighter values with their specific forms and bring the cloths to a finish.  After the cloths are complete I start on the raspberries by first state the general colors and after do big form modeling, I work on the red and black raspberries simultaneously.  
Then I add the lighter values with their specific forms and also re work some of the darker values to blend better with the overall form, after doing this it brings the whole painting to a finish.  It's nice to get one of these guys painted before the holiday hits, I know I'll be out of commission due to all the consumption of food.  Hopefully i'll be able to draw if i'm unable to move from the food coma!  Hope you enjoyed this one thanks for stopping by and viewing, Happy Thanksgiving! 




No comments: