Friday, October 28, 2011

"Propped Squash"

Sold
"Propped Squash"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
Well I'm glad this week is over, I'm extremely exhausted and can't wait to kick back and relax, in reality I'm going to be stretching canvases and painting which is relaxing as well.  I wanted to continue todays alla prima painting from yesterdays whimsical approach, I liked the dynamic of these two objects and how they can tell a story.  I'm happy to have painted these guys so much, I just love painting texture and seeing how I can better my technique with intricate areas.  Each of these objects have their unique textures to them you can't just apply the same approach to each of them.  I'm ready to move onto another subject matter it was fun though painting these two guys, hopefully I'll paint them again soon.
I've added pictures from a collaboration I did with a local artist name Peter Geyen, it was a project we were working on for a long time.  Essentially Peter does eight pieces to put on display in the busiest location in Minnesota, it's through a charity which is great because all the money goes towards them.  He approached me to help him out with a couple pieces and I gladly did so.  The only areas I helped out were the face in the first picture and the background which is in charcoal in the second picture.  I also did a painting of a sky for him to go along another painting, which he will use in the future.  Doing this type of project is something I haven't done before and I have to say I loved every minute of it, the collaboration between everyone was great so many ideas and to see so much good art coming out from different people was awesome to see.  I definitely went out of my comfort zone and loved every minute of it.  If anyone is around in downtown Minneapolis you should go see these pieces, they're great to see in person.  They are located in the IDS building in the main lobby, the pieces will be up for two weeks.
I painted the head on fiber glass which was interesting to say the least, i've never painted on that ground before and it was basically painting on glass.  
I did the background on the brown piece with all charcoal, the idea behind the landscape was to have a death valley feel.  He wanted lines to show cracks in the ground and hills in the distance, i've messed around with charcoal before but never like this, like I said before I loved every minute of the experience.  I'm excited to work on more pieces with Peter and see what else we can come up with.  Hope you guys enjoyed this one, thanks for stopping by and viewing.
These are the other pieces on the other side.











No comments: