Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"HeirloomTomato"

Sold
"Heirloom Tomato"
6 x 6 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
It's good to be back in front of the easel after a long vacation, don't get me wrong I love vacationing but I don't like not being able to paint for that much of time.  I was at the grocery store today walking around seeing what can inspire me for todays alla prima, and I ran into a great looking heirloom tomato.  The shape of this heirloom is so unique, it resembles a balloon when it's being twisted.  One of the things I love painting the most is when the object does not look like what its suppose to be, its great trying to decipher it.  It feels great being back and painting hardcore again!
I wanted to share with you guys an article about me and the classes I'll be teaching at the Bloomington Art Center this winter, click here to view the article.  If you're interested in attending the classes just click here to find out more information.  I'll be teaching still life painting and figure drawing, should be a fun time overall I hope to see you guys there.
I started with the usual dry brush approach using no mediums and a bit of raw umber on the brush.  When the drawing is complete I stated the background and wooden base, I first started with the fall of light and big form modeling.  I only state the general colors going from dark to light and form the subject to fit the lighting thats given.  The colors I use were ultramarine blue, naples yellow and titanium white for the background.  For the base I used raw umber, red umber, ultramarine blue, naples yellow, titanium white.
Once the fall of light and big form modeling is working right I start adding the smaller form modeling, I start first with the darker values.  Once thats complete I state the lighter values and the highlights.
When the wooden base is complete I start on the heirloom tomato, I first concentrate on the big form modeling.  I'm not worried about details just the general colors and how the light wrapping around the form.  It has to look dimensional before adding any details to it.  Once the big form modeling is complete I start on the smaller form modeling, I first start with the darker values. 
Once the darker values are taken to a close finish I then state the lighter values and highlights.  The colors I used for the heirloom tomato were cad. orange, cad. yellow light, raw umber, ivory black, cad. red light, viridian, ultramarine blue, and titanium white.  I'm glad I painted this heirloom today it warmed me up with my process and really made me concentrate on big and small form modeling.  I hope you enjoyed this one, thanks for stopping by and viewing!




No comments: