Monday, June 13, 2011

"Sliced Tomatoes"

Sold
"Sliced Tomatoes"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
I wanted to continue on the theme with these tomatoes and play more with their inner beauty.  The inside of these tomatoes are neat looking from such a smooth and watery state to some areas that are really texturized with subtle highlights.  The smell I wish I was able to translate onto the painting, it was such a strong delicious smell it made it hard at times to paint instead of eating them.  It was fun painting the insides because they're not anything i've painted before, they have an abstract look to them and really neat trying to paint its textures.  The value shifts within the colors also made it fun to capture, they are subtle but delicious if done right.  The wooden base was also a neat one to paint, the watery texture coming from the tomatoes mixed with the wooden textures made a nice blend to paint.  
I also wanted to let you guys know if anyone is in the Minneapolis area this Saturday the 18th, I'll be giving a portrait demo from 1-3 p.m.  Click here to get more information about the demo and directions to it.
I started with the usual dry brush approach using no mediums and a bit of raw umber on the brush.  Once the drawing is complete I stated the background first to give some color to the overall painting.
Once the background is stated I started on the first tomato by just stating the general colors, at this stage I'm not worried about details and stating the darkest and lightest values.  I just want a general statement and also concentrate on big form modeling.  Then I state the darker values and its specific forms and take it to a close finish, the reason I don't finish all the way is because the surrounding hues are not stated and once they are in they effect that particular value.  
Then I adde the lighter values and its specific values and take that area to a finish, with the lighter values I am able to finish because it doesn't really change with the surrounding hue's.  I then state the stem when applying the highlights and lighter values.  Once the first tomato is complete I start on the second tomato by repeating the same process as I did with the first, state the general colors in the beginning and not worry about details.  Since this has more abstract shapes in it and not so much of big form modeling, I try to just think of like that and concentrate more on its values.
Then I state the darker values and its specific forms and take it to a close finish, I do the same with the lighter values and its specific forms.
I repeat the same process with the third tomato once the second one is complete.
When the third tomato is complete I start on the wooden base by just applying the general colors.  
Then I state the darker values and take them to a finish and do the same with lighter values.  Now I can go back to my tomatoes and adjust any value shifts that need to be changed, having the wooden base allows me to judge all the values together and make any necessary changes.  I hope you enjoyed this one as much as I did, thanks for stopping by and viewing! 






  

2 comments:

Judy P. said...

Georgeous Jonathan, whoever purchased the whole tomatoes should want this one too- it's like the before and after.
You remind me with this demo about building up the values; I think lately I have been trying to hit them 'on the spot' and that NEVER works.
Hope I can catch your demo on Saturday!

Lokelani Forrest said...

It is amazing the realism you get in all of your pieces. Bravo!!