Friday, December 10, 2010

"Trail of Berries"

Sold
"Trail of Berries"
7 x 5 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
Hi everyone, this painting was so much fun to do.  I wanted to have an interesting composition with these berries and I think I've achieved it with this painting.  I kept the background white to enhance the limited colors used.  The more I paint these berries the more I can see how intricate they are within, from their colors to their shapes. 
I started with the usual dry brush approach for the drawing stage, using just a bit of raw umber on the brush.  Then I added the local colors to all the berries, I used cad. red light, and ivory black.
Then I went into the raspberries and added the darker to middle values, I used raw umber and ivory black.  Then when the form is starting to turn I then applied the lighter values using just titanium white.  As you can see I'm working on all the berries at once, this is just to get a general feel of the light source.  I'm essentially doing a gestural sketch with the paints, then when everything is looking just right I start taking each section to a finish.  Of course at times I will have to revisit certain sections to adjust the value or chroma, but those are minor changes.
At this time I started taking each section to a finish, starting with the raspberry and black berry.  Since I have all my information stated I just have to sculpt it into what I want it to look like, of course staying true to the subject matter.  Then I start on the upper half of the berries and do the same take them to a finish.
I then go back into the cast shadows and add a bit of titanium white to soften the edges.  Doing this allows me to push certain berries further back to have more of a focus in the foreground.  As you may have noticed I didn't add anything to the background, its just the white of the canvas.  It was neat just leaving it like that and working around it.  I don't think I've ever done that before with these alla prima paintings.  I hope you enjoyed this one as much as I did, thanks for stopping by and viewing!  




2 comments:

SUSAN RODEN said...

Love your march of berries Jonathan! Limited imagery yet so fun and interesting.

Kim Vanlandingham said...

These are just wonderful. You've inspired me to work on some fruit again. (Good weather for some indoor painting!)