Sunday, August 1, 2010

"Clementine 2"

"Clementine 2"
5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
The shape of this fruit is really appealing to me the awkward way the peals are hanging off reminds me of a jellyfish!
I started with a dry brush approach using no mediums just using raw umber, then when the drawing is finished I started in the clementine starting with the darks towards the lights.  I used ivory black, cadmium orange, and cadmium red light.
Then I stated the reflected lights in the shadows using the same mixture but with titanium white, and cadmium yellow, after I finished that area I stated the middle and lighter values using the same mixture but with more titanium white in the impasto sections.
Then I started the peals of the oranges starting with shadows and moving towards the lights, I used ivory black, burnt sienna, and cadmium orange.  After the shadows and subtle values where sketched in I went over it with an impasto approach using titanium white.  The impasto sections are so much fun to do, you can create so much texture with different brush strokes.
Then I added the base using cobalt blue, burnt sienna, and titanium white I make sure to go around the edges and take my time with them.  Then I added the background using cobalt blue, titanium white and naples yellow.
Overall this painting was a lot of fun to do, like I stated before the impasto sections are so much fun to create I wanna do more paintings where I can play around with the paints in such a thickly manner.  Thanks for stopping by and viewing!

No comments: