Friday, July 2, 2010

"Pomegranate"

Sold
"Pomegranate"
5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
When I cut into the pomegranate and saw the array of colors bouncing out of it I knew I had to paint it.  The reds, yellows and subtle light purples bouncing around the inside makes this painting worth wild for me to paint, another delicious fruit to snack after a long day of painting. 
I started with a dry brush approach a bit of raw umber on the brush and no medium, then I started on the darkest values.  I used ivory black, and cadmium red.
Then I started on the middle values of the pomegranate using cadmium red, cadmium red light, and titanium white.  Then I added the seeds using ivory black, cadmium red, cadmium yellow medium and titanium white.  This was a tricky area to paint because of the intricate colors that where meshing together, its important to have a good drawing when getting into complicated areas of the painting it serves as a blue print to guide you.
Then I added the lighter values within the pomegranate using quinacridone magenta, titanium white, and cadmium yellow light.
I added darker values to the base after I was done with pomegranate using ivory black, cadmium orange, and cadmium red.  I take this area to a finish and move onto the lights, for the lighter values I used cerulean blue, titanium white, and a bit of burnt sienna.
After the base was done I moved onto the background using cerulean blue, naples yellow, and titanium white.  I also went inside the pomegranate and added highlights to give it the final touch.  This is the finished picture I enjoyed painting this delicious fruit and even enjoyed it more eating it when I was done,  thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed it.

5 comments:

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi again my Friend Jonathan!... An absolutely "delicious" piece of pomegranate! The reds and purples of your rendering are as richly evident and effective... as the "fire within" which helped "You" to this end! Fine work!

Good Painting!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

suzanneberry said...

A beautiful still life. Simply stunning.

Caroline Peña Bray said...

I certainly did enjoy it! Not only are your paintings brilliant but you also share your process, which is priceless for leaners such as myself. Thanks so much for sharing and I'm very much looking forward to following your progress. Keep up the great work!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I too love to see the process of your work, Jonathan. This is a magnificent piece - I think the way the top edge of the pomegranate almost disappears into the background is breath-taking.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

And by the way, congratulations :)