Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Clementine"

Sold
"Clementine"
5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
I started peeling this clementine and saw an assortment of shapes with the silhouette, the subtle oranges to yellows and also the silhouette really attracted me to paint this one.  I also was really looking forward to eating the clementine after I painted it, they are sooooo delicious!
I started with the usual no medium just a bit of raw umber on the brush to draw out the shapes first, after the drawing is established I stated the middle to darkest values in the clementine.  I used ivory black, cadmium orange, and cadmium red deep I am also starting to establish the cast shadows just using ivory black.
I then start adding the middle lighter values to the peals using cadmium orange, and then I start adding the background in order to give more balance to the clementine and also to work the edges more as far as blurring them and making them sharper.  For the background I used cobalt blue, titanium white, burnt sienna, cadmium orange, and yellow ochre pale.
I took the background to the top of the canvas and really blurred the horizon line to create more focus with the clementine, after that was completed I started with the darkest values in the clementine.  I am using the same palette as I stated in the beginning for the peals of the clementine and also the same process going from the darkest values to the lightest, when I got to do the lightest values I just used titanium white.  Adding the titanium white was so much fun to be able to play with such thick impastos and move the paint around was a lot of fun and a great learning tool.
This is the finished pic overall this was a delicious painting to make, I enjoy eating these guys so much and cannot wait to paint it again to eat more!  Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed this one!

5 comments:

Susan Roux said...

Very nice! I can just smell it from here...

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi Jonathan!... "Oh my darlin'... oh my my darlin"... oh my darlin' Clementine..."

Delicious to make... delicious to look at... delectable to eat! A fav' at our house in the Yuletime season!

Beautifully peeled... and painted Jonathan!

Good Painting my Friend!
Juiciest regards,
Bruce

Sandra Galda said...

nice take on the orange...love the open peel

Pamela Hunt Lee said...

It looks like it is dancing!

Judy P. said...

This spritey clementine looks like it's twirling merrily around!