Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"Cherries 3"

Sold
"Cherries 3"
5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
This is the third painting of these guys and I love to paint the reds blending with the blacks, as stated before I really like composing these fruits and eating them when I'd done!
I started again with the same usual approach no mediums just a bit of raw umber and draw using a dry brush approach.  Once the drawing was complete I started on the darker values of the first cherry using ivory black, cadmium red, and cadmium red light.
Then I filled in the middle and lighter values using cadmium red, cadmium red light, and titanium white I also filled in the stem area using cobalt blue, cadmium yellow and titanium white.  After the first cherry is taken to a finish I start on the second one using the same mixture for the darker values, as you can see with the highlights I slowly creep up too them so I don't have any colors contaminating them.
I also establish the stem using the same mixture as I did with the first cherry, then I put in the middle and lighter values and take it to a finish.  Then I stated the third cherry just using ivory black for the darks.
Then I add the middle and lighter values and also paint the stem in, I also aware of the cast shadows of the cherries knowing that it will be effecting the darks in the cherries.  From there I add darker values to the base using ivory black, cadmium orange and cadmium red light.
Then I add the details in the darker values using cadmium red light and cadmium orange, then I add the middle and lighter values using burnt sienna, cerulean blue and titanium white I'm also making sure when filling the base to be careful with the edges of the cherries. 
Then I added the background using cerulean blue, naples yellow, and titanium white again when adding the colors I am constantly aware of the edges what need to be soft and which area needs to be sharper.  These paintings were fun to make I think I'll take a little break from them for a while, although they are tasty after painting them!  Thanks for stopping by and viewing I hope you enjoyed!

2 comments:

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi Jonathan!.... Very "cheery" indeed... shapely... "lip gloss" applied just so! Tasty little morsels that one cannot resist!

"You" have said it all! A gem!

Good Painting!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

jesusest@gmail.com said...

Hola John un buen trabajo con las cerezas, tengo a mis estudiantes siguiendote aunque tu no lo sepas, hay un enlaze en el blog de ellos y dicen que estan aprendiendo mucho . Un saludo y te deseo lo mejor.