Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Teapot"

Sold
"Teapot"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
Hi everyone I want to thank you guys for voting for me so far, I cannot express how much it means to me that everyone has done so.  The voting is still up and running until the 18th which means you guys can vote for me again in the round 2 phase, all you have to do is click here and when your there just click on 5 stars and your done!  Its that easy, again I appreciate everyones help.  
I started with the usual dry brush approach with no mediums a little of raw umber on the brush so I can draw it out with control of the tones.  Then I started to state the darks, I used ivory black and a bit of burnt sienna and ultramarine blue.  The reason I decided to use those colors in the darks is to make it more opaque since these paintings are done in one shot I wanted to experiment and see what works.
Then I started on the spout, I took it to a finish adding the mid and lighter values using cadmium orange for some of the reflection, titanium white and ivory black.  This palette essentially is what I used through out the whole teapot.  I took the spout to a finish and then I moved towards the handle just adding some lighter values using ivory black and titanium white.  Then I worked on the top of the teapot where the little ball is at adding lighter values as well, again taking it to a finish.  I like working this way it lets me see everything coming together and I do not have to keep going back and being unsure in those areas, it lets me concentrate as much as I can in the area I'm working on.
Then I moved onto the body of the teapot, I introduced colors that were reflecting off the table.  I used burnt sienna, cadmium orange, cadmium yellow medium, yellow ochre, titanium white and ivory black.  Then I filled in the table with the same mixture above except I introduced the background colors to it which where cerulean blue, and naples yellow.  Just putting in the mid values for now to see if it works well with the whole painting.
I then added the darks, I used ivory black and the mixture above to do so.  Then I added the background and had to be careful doing so, the edges of the teapot are important its not a fruit or vegetable where the edges can be really soft and vanish with the background this is more of a firmer object and the contours are important.  I used cerulean blue, naples yellow and titanium white for the background.
This is the finished picture, as you can tell I changed the angle of the table on the right side.  I was going to keep it straight but looking at it and seeing the reflection it just made no sense.  This what happens when you do not closely observe what you paint, you paint what you think you see and thats not correct.  Always wanted to paint this teapot, it rests in our kitchen and always works for me every morning to heat up my oatmeal cereal.  Hope you enjoyed this one and thanks for stopping by, take care!

8 comments:

Jill said...

your work is awesome and clearly displayed in this piece.
Thank you for sharing.
Jill
http://truoriginal.blogspot.com/

Linda Popple said...

Love your teapot and the reflections! I also enjoy seeing and reading about your process. I'm learning something and I love it!!

abey said...

Nice theme change, excepting the reflections this teapot should seem easy to you compared to the organic forms.

Nice ambient.

cristinaf said...

Love the lesson, I will use this for my vase
Thanks, Jonathan!

Lokelani Forrest said...

Wonderful reflections in your teapot. I love this painting. Good luck, I voted.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I think you're doing really well in the DP contest, and I wish you the best. Thanks for the step-by-step sharing!

Virginia Young said...

Your work is amazing!!! I especially love that you provide a step by step to your process.
Seems you have a pretty substantial lead in the DP contest, good luck!!

SEILER said...

This is awesome, really nice color!!!