Monday, June 14, 2010

"Heirloom Tomato"

Sold
"Heirloom Tomato"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
This is my second painting of an heirloom tomato, I can see the difference in technicality from the first time I painted it.  It was almost a monochromatic painting but with hints of oranges and light greens here and there.  It felt good getting back too painting, I have been so caught up with trying to get votes for the competition that I neglected my paintings.  There is nothing like painting!
I started with the usual dry brush approach, I use no mediums through out my painting.  The only time I use mediums is when I varnish it in the end.  I used raw umber for the drawing a very tiny bit of it on the brush, when the drawing was established I moved onto the shadows of the tomato.  I used ivory black,  and cadmium red.
After putting in the darks I put in the middle values, when I start putting them in I go back to the shadows and take it to a finish as with the middle values.  I make sure to take each stage to a finish which means your level of concentration is really high in order to get everything right.  Then I put the lighter values as you can see I am moving from right to left since I made this fruit much larger on the canvas it took a longer time to paint it.  For the middle and lighter values I used cad. red light, cad. red, cad. orange, and titanium white.  I am also creeping up to the highlights making sure to leave the bare canvas since that is the whitest you can get.  
Then I started moving towards the left of the tomato, I am using the same palette as I mentioned above.  I  am going from the middle values then towards the lighter values and taking them to a finish.  Then I go into the highlights and add titanium white, blending them with the surrounding values and softening the edges.  Thats the other thing I am constantly being aware of is my edges, each stroke I lay down I am seeing if the edge of the stroke needs to be softened or crispier.  Edges will always make or brake you'r painting its good to take special care of them.
Then I moved onto the wooden base I stated the darks first just using ivory black, I also stated the stem of the tomato.  Then I moved onto the middle values, using burnt sienna, and ivory black.  Then I went to the stem and added lighter greens, I didn't go too far with it since I have not added the background yet and know I will have to soften the edges.
Then I added the background, I used cerulean blue, naples yellow, and titanium white.  I first made sure to go around the edges of where the tomato meets the background and soften where it needs to be softened.  I always think these guys have the most unique looking features and glad to have painted them again.  I hope you enjoyed this one and thank you for stopping by!  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ey este tomate se ve muy bien, los brillos esta muy realistas!!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This looks so sumptuous, Jonathan. This is a tomato-lover's dream come tru!

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi Jonathan!.... This is surely a delectable heirloom!

"I" love making a thick tomato-only sandwich on thick fresh white bread... a bit of mayo... a few sprinles of salt and pepper. Nothin' better on a hot summer day... chugged down with a frosty glass of "moo"!


"You" got "me" headin'... to the fridge my friend! A beautiful rendering!

Good work on the contest "thingy"! "You" are a winner in my books... no matter the contest outcome!

Good painting!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

Lokelani Forrest said...

What a beauty. You always do such a great job.

SEILER said...

Another stellar piece man!

Karla said...

looks like today you are in first place. I voted for you

Judy P. said...

Hey Jonathan you won! Many congrats, and you deserve it, as seen by your latest demo. So I see it was neck-and-neck, but you stretched out at the end.
Enjoy your 1st place- great too that 2nd place was awarded a membership also- a good time for all!

Gwen Bell said...

Great job on this tomato, Jonathan! Your work is so lovely.

Congratulations on winning the DP contest! I look forward to seeing your beautiful paintings in my daily email from DP. :)

Laurel Daniel said...

Congratulations, Jonathan! You do beautiful work, and I wish you all the best!!!! Very exciting to have you on board!