Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"Salt & Pepper"

Sold
"Salt & Pepper"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
I found these two objects at my girlfriends great aunts house, they are so vintage looking that I had to paint them.  I can tell you I have never seen a salt and pepper looking like this, it was to good not to paint it.  I decided not to have them upright looking identical but have one on its side spilling out some salt, telling a story in a way.  This is a good break form painting fruits and vegetables, I hope to find more of these interesting objects to paint in the future.
I started with a dry brush approach as usual, no medium just a little of burnt umber on the brush.  The drawing cannot be as loose as I want it to be, I have to get the proportions right at this stage.  
After the drawing is in the level I want it to be I start filling in the larger forms and making them turn.  For the mid and dark tones I am using burnt sienna, yellow ochre, and ivory black.  Just loosely laying in the colors not worried about getting things perfectly smooth.
Then for the mid lights and highlights I used cadmium yellow light, yellow ochre, and titanium white.  I have made sure that the larger forms are turning and started to smooth it out when I really did not need to in the stage, at times I just forget what I'm doing and get into my little world of blending.  You can see that I sneaking into the darks on the base with the cast shadow of the salt shaker, I am just using ivory black in this stage.
Then I just filled in the base with burnt umber, burnt sienna, and ivory black.  Again not worried about details just laying the main color so I can go in and mix on top of that color later.
Then I added the background using cerulean blue,  yellow, and titanium white.  I also made sure to soften the edges to push back some areas.
I then went back into the salt and pepper and started to work on the smaller forms, reiterating the mid and darker tones.  Then I started introducing more of the lighter tones, I am going slower in this stage so I can be aware of the subtle tones.  At times I forget but it's a good rule of thumb to finish an area at a time, it will make you finish you'r painting much faster.  At this stage I was working on the salt shaker on the left and then I went to the pepper shaker on the right.
Then I introduced lighter tones to the base and also smaller details, you can see grains of salt laying on the base.  I would of taken the base further but I just wanted to concentrate more of the attention to the salt and pepper.  This painting was a lot of fun to do, hope you enjoyed this one!

2 comments:

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi Jonathan!... What a neat pair to paint! Challenging too! I love the warm colours and the "spilled salt" idea!..Can I offer a "suggestion"?... Just that!

Look carefully at the curves on the peppermill... especially comparing the darker and more obvious side to the lighter. My monitor and eye says that they are different curves???? Maybe my 'ol eyes playin' tricks... again! Just thought I'd offer... "the third eye" in support of your fine effort!

Good Painting my Friend!
Warm regards,
Bruce

SEILER said...

Amazing work Jonathan . . . wow.