8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
I had so much fun with this painting, it kind of reminded me of the grape series that I did. The overall experience with this painting was extremely pleasant and always learning new methods on how to improve my technique.
I did the drawing in a dry brush manner no medium just very little burnt umber on the brush, then I went into the darks automatically since the majority of the painting is really dark. I used ivory black for the first thin layer, I did this because it's easier to judge how light I have to go with my tones.
Then I started in the radishes, in this stage I used cadmium red, permanent rose, and ivory black. I am just concentrating on the forms in this stage, making sure they are turning and looking believable.
I know I know, I skipped a lot of steps with the photos. I apologize at times I get carried away painting and forget to stop and take a photo. What I essentially did from the last pic to this one, I went into the leaves and just added the middle tones no highlights or details just making sure again that the form was turning accordingly to the lights. Then I went into the base and added the middle tones, basically a dead coloring stage, no details just to get the feel of the base. For the base I used titanium white, yellow ochre, and burnt umber. As you can see with this picture I then went back into the radishes and introduced the lighter tones which was cadmium red, permanent rose, and titanium white. I am dabbing where the highlights should be always being aware how much pressure I apply to the brush. In the leaves I used cobalt blue and cadmium yellow light, and titanium white. I am going back and forth with the darker tones to the middle and lighter tones, always being aware of the subtle tone shifts.
I went back into the darks and added the second thicker coat of ivory black, when I say thicker its just slightly thicker than what I applied the stage before. I am also making sure my edges are softening in there appropriate areas, then adding smaller details to the radishes such as their roots and skin textures.
I then went into the base and started to add the details of the wooden base. I used very little paint in this stage as well just being aware of the subtle shift of tones from one value to the other. This is the finished painting, it was a real treat painting this one. I am always learning things from these daily paintings, it's a great test to constantly push ones limits. Thanks again and hope you enjoyed!