Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"Tomatski"

"Tomatski"
6 x 8 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
This is the drawing again with just a dry brush of burnt umber and no medium.
I then went straight into the tomato and stem, I added the local colors to them dabbing them in there correct placements and blending certain areas and leaving others loose.
I then proceeded to the background and wooden base, at this stage I am just seeing if the colors I choose will match well with the tomato or I'll have to alter it.
I had to alter the background to the original color which worked really well with it, after fixing that I went to the edges of the tomato and softened certain areas.  I then went into the tomato and added little details of the orange cadmium lights, and then went into the stem and added the highlights as well.  After  taking the tomato to a finish I went back into the base and added certain details that I thought would give it some character.  Overall the painting was a lot of fun to do and always learning from these small guys, I hope you guys enjoyed it!





3 comments:

Lisa McShane said...

Hey Jonathan -
I really enjoy your blog posts with the pictures of your process as you go along. I know it's a little extra work so I hope you keep doing that! Great paintings.

RUDHI RĂ¼scher said...

Tomatski Wellinovski!

Lori Bonanni said...

Well done! Thank you for the process photos.