Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Red Anjou Pears"

Sold
"Red Anjou Pears"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
I start the painting with a dry brush approach, you can see that using this method I am able to go thick and thin with the lines as if I was drawing with a pencil.
I went into the pears first not the background because I wanted to state the dead coloring first.  You can see from this pic how I lay the first stages of the painting down, it looks sloppy but it's quickly hinting where the main colors will be.  I'm constantly making sure not to use too much paint or it'll get muddy pretty quick.
After I have hinted the main colors, I start forming the shapes with their correct values and hues.  I went pretty far in this stage I was having fun putting those indentations on the pears, oh well.
I then filled in the background and base, after stating those I went back into the pears and its edges.  Edges are so important you have to know when to push it back to the background and where to put the hard edges.  They are a lot of fun to do as well but a bit tricky, you can see with the horizon line I usually blur it more than it needs to be but I do it so the main objects in the middle ground can catch your eye.
This is the finished painting, after pushing the edges to where I wanted them too be I went back into the pear.  I stated more of the smaller shapes within the pears and emphasized the highlights.  I hope you enjoyed this one, take care!

1 comment:

SEILER said...

This is so awesome man, I love that you share your steps . . . amazing! And I really like that pear a few posts down, really nice!