Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Three Strawberries"

Sold
"Three Strawberries"
6 x 6 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
The weather here in Minneapolis is crazy today it hit 50 degrees, I cannot believe that its fifty degrees in the middle of January it's usually five below at this time of year.  It's pretty hard to stay indoors and paint when it's so nice outside but I must paint and get back to the easel vacation time is over.  I haven't painted strawberries in a while I miss painting their unique textures and beautiful colors.  I wanted to arrange them with this silver serving cup, I've used this cup in several of my paintings and like the reflections it creates.  It was fun arranging this composition and getting back to the grind of making these alla prima's.
I started with the usual dry brush approach for the drawing stage, once the drawing stage is complete I stated the background by using ultramarine blue, naples yellow and titanium white.
After the background is complete I start on the three strawberries at the same time by stating the general colors.  After the general colors are stated I start stating the darker values and their specific forms.
Then I stated the lighter values and highlights, I work on all the strawberries at the same time to keep the quality the same.  Once the strawberries are complete I start on the green leafs on the strawberries by first stating the general colors, then laying down the darker values and after putting the lighter values
Then I start on the silver cup by laying in the general colors, I like to keep this stage abstract and also keeping the edges soft.  Then I state the lighter values and start bringing the two sections to a finish.  
Then I move onto the base and first state the general colors, at this stage I have already starting to indicate the darker and lighter values.  Then I state the darker darks and bring the painting to a finish.





2 comments:

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

Funny how weather is so relative. We live in Alabama and we were all bundled up today because it was in the 50's:)) Wonderful strawberries and fabulous reflections in the silver pitcher. I also really enjoyed your rose painting video, aside from watching your masterful work I enjoyed the Woody Allenish music:)) Love it!

We Are Groot Artiste said...

Thank yoou for sharing