Friday, November 18, 2011

"Blue Tangerines"

Sold
"Blue Tangerines"
10 x 8 in 
Oil on Canvas Panel
I wanted to challenge myself again with another try in painting this blue cloth, and challenging it was.  Blue is such a transparent color and to make it look finished in one session was very difficult.  I did like the concept of having these two elements together especially since their colors do clash.  I concentrated most of my time in the blue cloth and trying to get a good grasp of the technique.  
I started with the usual dry brush approach for the drawing stage, I have a bit of raw umber on the brush.  Once the drawing is complete I stated the background and blue cloth, the colors I used for the background were cobalt blue, naples yellow and titanium white.  For the general lay in of the blue cloth I used ultramarine blue, cobalt blue.
Then I stated the darker values and worked more with the big form modeling of the whole form, I used ivory black for the darker values.  Once the darker values were working I moved onto the lighter values by adding titanium white to cobalt blue.  
Once the cloth was finished I started on the tangerines working on both at the same time.  I first started with the general color lay in and then big form modeling, the colors I used were cad.orange, cad.yellow light, naphthol red, raw umber and ivory black.  After big form modeling I stated the darker values with their specific forms.
Then I stated the lighter values and highlights with their specific forms to bring the painting to a finish, the colors I used for this stage were mainly titanium white and cad.yellow light.  Now to go and eat these delicious tangerines!  Thanks for stopping by and viewing hope you enjoyed!




No comments: