Monday, September 26, 2011

"Yellow Pepper"

"Yellow Pepper"
6 x 6 in 
Oil on Canvas Panel
This is a small little pepper I found at the store yesterday and wanted to paint it.  I really like the transition of green to yellow, its tough trying to capture that change since it happens so fast.  Peppers can be challenging because of their smooth texture, a great challenge to painting.  It's always fun to challenge yourself even though you think you can paint it easily it can throw you in a whirl wind.
I started with the usual dry brush approach using no mediums and a bit of raw umber on the brush.  Once the drawing is complete I stated the background first using cobalt blue, naples yellow and titanium white.
Then I stated the general colors for the pepper and stem, the colors I used were cad.yellow light, viridian, and raw umber.  Then I state the darker values with their specific forms.
I do the same with the lighter values and take the pepper to a finish, I also state the darker values to the stem.
Then I stated the wooden board with its general colors.  I also took the stem to a finish by adding the lighter values with their specific forms.  I then added the darker values with their specific forms.  The colors I used for the wooden board were raw umber, ivory black, ultramarine blue, and cadmium orange.
Then I added the lighter values with their specific forms to the base and took the painting to a finish.  I hope you guys enjoyed this little quick painting, thanks for stopping by and viewing.





1 comment:

Pamela Hunt Lee said...

Thank you Jonathan. Just today I was painting two red peppers and I was thrown into that whirlwind you mention. That whirlwind took my painting right off the easel onto the ground. Can you imagine? ok... I will do it again tomorrow.