Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Baby Eggplants #2"

Sold
"Baby Eggplants #2"
6 x 6 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
This is another painting of the delicious and elegant eggplants, I thoroughly enjoy painting their smooth skin and bringing out their deep colors.  The composition was also an incentive to paint another version of it.  The more I paint these guys the more I like them and can see how much character they have.  
I started with a bit of raw umber on the brush and no mediums for the drawing stage.  Once thats completed I started on the first eggplant using the same mixtures as I did with the previous painting.  At this stage I'm only concentrating on big form modeling making sure the lights wrapping around the form, then I add the general colors that wrap around the form with the big form modeling.
Once the big form modeling is completed I start to add the smaller forms or the details, this stage goes quick because a lot of the work gets done with the big form modeling stage.  I then start on the stem doing big form modeling first with the overall color.
After big form modeling is complete I start to add the darker and lighter values.
Then I add the second stem doing the same procedure as I did with the previous one.
Then I add the body of the eggplant doing big form modeling first, worrying about the general colors first and how light wraps around the form.  Remember this stage is essential to get right, you have to understand how light effects the form and the degree of values that go with it.
Then I add the lighter and darker values of the smaller forms and bring it to a finish.  Once the baby eggplants are completed I move onto the base and background and paint them in at the same time.  When adding the background I'm constantly aware of edges and how soft they have to be in certain areas, edges is another section where you have to pay close attention to.  
With the base I painted the general colors and stated the general statement of light which is big form modeling.  Then added the smaller forms with darker and lighter values.  This technique sounds pretty simple which is, but you have to understand that these steps are essential in getting the form painted right.  Its all understanding how light effects and object and seeing the subtle values between each form.  I hope you enjoyed this one, thanks for stopping by and viewing!







No comments: