Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Berries on top"

Sold
"Berries on top"
5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas
These berries can say so much with just the simplest composition.  I think I can paint berries for a full year and not use the same composition.  These guys are just to much fun to paint.  Aside from painting these berries, this past weekend we went through a really bad blizzard!  It was interesting to go through a weather phenomenon like that.  I'm used to hurricanes and bad storms in florida, but this was definitely a category of its own.  The storm dumped 20 inches of snow on us, and truthfully it looks amazing! It's a pain in the butt to drive through, but to see four foot snow mounds all over the place is pretty surreal.  This type of weather is perfect to stay in and paint, can't ask for anything better.    
I started with the traditional dry brush approach to the drawing stage of the painting, using a bit of raw umber.  Then I covered the background with cerulean blue, naples yellow, burnt sienna, and titanium white.  
Then I added the wooden base after stating the background.  I started with ivory black, burnt sienna, and raw umber.  I used this palette for the darker values of the base which I started first.  Then I added the lighter values of the base using titanium white, cerulean blue, and raw umber.  I also indicate where the cast shadows are placed to start indicating the berries.  
When the wooden base is completed I then start with the berries.  I lay in the local color to all the berries at the same time.  I used ivory black,  cad. red light, and raw umber.  Then I add the lighter values just using titanium white to all the berries.  What I'm essentially doing in these stages is placing the correct color in the right spot and dabbing it to the right look.  What I've noticed with this method it makes the painting look fresh in some ways.  
Once the colors are placed in the right areas, I then start with the first berry on the left and take it to a finish.  Since I have all the information stated on the canvas I can easily sculpt it to the way I want it to look, of course staying true to the subject matter.  I find this method works well painting raspberries and black berries.
Then I finish the middle raspberries and then do the same with the black berry on the right.  I've had a lot of fun painting these berries, as stated before in previous posts, I truly find new things to see within the berries every time I paint them.  I also enjoy each time eating these delicious treats after the painting is complete.  Thanks for stopping by and viewing, hope you enjoyed!








3 comments:

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

Superb job on the berries. Love the composition also.

Kim Vanlandingham said...

Another wonderful piece!

jesusest@gmail.com said...

what were you thinking when you did this composition?, the spring is not yet here Jonathan. Un saludo de parte de mis alumnos y te deseo unas felices fiestas