Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"Purple Pepper"

"Purple Pepper"
5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
Hi everyone sorry for the lack of post I have been really busy getting ready for Michael Kleins workshop this Friday I'm so excited!  I also wanted to let everyone know that I recently did an interview with a really nice lady her name is Jill Metz you can read the interview here, it was my first and lots of fun!  I am also thinking of doing an online streaming demos and seeing if anyone is interested in seeing those as well let me know if your interested?
I started with a dry brush approach to the drawing stage using no mediums and just raw umber, when the drawing is done I started on the darkest values using ivory black, permanent rose, and quinacridone magenta.
I then established the middle and lighter values which was tricky thing to do because of the textures within the pepper, I used viridian, cobalt blue, naples yellow, cadmium yellow light, and titanium white.  The difference between the two pics is the edges differ from one pic to the other also the values are pushed a bit further to turn the form.
Then I added the lighter values or highlights just using titanium white, once the pepper was done I started on the wooden base using ivory black, cadmium orange, and cadmium red light.
Then I added the middle and lighter values to the top of the base using cerulean blue, burnt sienna, naples yellow, and titanium white.  The last stage I added the background using cerulean blue, naples yellow, and titanium white then I went around and softened the edges and took it further in some areas to  experiment more with it.  Edges as I stated before in other postings will make or break your painting how you treat it will also determine the style of your painting, its a tricky line to walk on but always remember  to pay close attention to them and take your time.
With the background you can see that I added more of the cadmium yellow light and naples yellow to relate the colors to the background.  I had fun painting this one and hope you enjoyed it as well, thanks for stopping by and viewing!

9 comments:

Caroline Peña Bray said...

Another awesome piece, I didn't even know purple peppers existed! I'd be very interested in streamed demos, I'll keep my eyes peeled for any more info on your bog. Fingers crossed you get enough support!

Paintings by Patricia said...

Beautifully done and what an unusual pepper.

Elizabeth Elgin said...

Streaming demos: yes! And thank you for your blog posts showing your steps and colors used. It is very useful for a newbie painter like me. Love your work.

Linda Popple said...

This is gorgeous!!

And YES I would love to see streaming demos!!

SEILER said...

MMMM, I love me a purple pepper . . . really nice man!

Jill said...

streaming demos sound good to me!! I'll be on the look out.
Thanks again for stopping over and visiting me on my blog. I love your work!
Jill

Fernando Pena said...

Good work, I was visiting your blog and it's really to enjoy and learn of it. I comment on this post cause you ask about streaming demos, it sounds great to me this idea, hope you can implement this idea

carolyn cobb art said...

me too on the streaming demos!
carolyn cobb art
pleinairecobb@gmail.com

Karla said...

Love your blog. Streaming demos would be FANTASTIC!! You can even teach a workshop using Ustream. It would be sooo fun!