Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Cherries 2"

Sold
"Cherries 2"
5 x7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
This is the second painting I have done of these guys as I stated before in the other painting setting up an interesting composition allows you to tell a story.  I really enjoy painting the deep reds that are hidden under the dark layers of skin.
I start off using no mediums and just a bit of raw umber on the brush to have a light drawing down, as soon as the drawing is established I start in the darks of the first cherry.  I used ivory black, cadmium red and permanent rose.
Then I add cadmium red light and cadmium red to the middle and lighter values, I also add titanium white for the highlights.  Once the first cherry is done I move onto the stem first with the darkest values and moving up to the lighter values, I use ivory black, cadmium yellow, cobalt blue, and titanium white for the three values of the stem.   Once the cherry is taken to a finish I move onto the base I first establish the cast shadow and a bit of the darks on top of the base, I also add the middle to lighter values of the base using burnt sienna, cerulean blue, titanium white and ivory black.
I then moved onto the background which is different than my usual approach to painting these still lifes, usually I leave the background towards the end but this time I wanted to put it in to finish the surrounding information from the first cherry to take the edges further.  I like working this way I don't have to go back and worry about the edges or anything, for the background I used cerulean blue, naples yellow and titanium white.  Then I stated the darker values of the wooden base using ivory black, cadmium orange and cadmium red light.
After the base was taken to a finish I started on the second cherry again starting from the darkest values and moving up to the middle and lighter values, I am also using the same mixture as I did with the first cherry.  Once the cherry is completed I move to the stem and do the same.
Then I started on the third cherry using the same mixture but a bit more subdued, another reason I like this way of working I keep looking back to what I previously painted and see that I don't have to go back and rework things out, I put all my concentration on the section I am working at and paint it the best I can.
Once the cherries were completed I stated the middle value of the table using cadmium orange, burnt sienna and a bit of ivory black.  Then I added the lighter values of the table using the same mixture but with titanium white, cerulean blue and naples yellow.
As I stated before the composition and colors your able to produce from these cherries are worth wild to paint, I'm having so much fun creating these paintings and also eating them when I'm done!  Thanks for stopping by and viewing, I hope you enjoyed!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Jon, I love your work. I'd like to try your technique for painting. What kind of brushes do you use? Please keep posting and showing us how you do it because it is so helpful. Thanks.

Lori Bonanni said...

Jon, Wonderful cherries! I tried painting them and they are very hard to get down. Great series on these. Maybe I'll try again before they go out of season! PS Congratulations on winning a spot on Daily Painters!

Sandra Galda said...

Just found your blog and I love it! this post was very informative thanks! I will be back, I am adding you to my blog list :) I love your art!

Linda Popple said...

Fantastic painting! The colors are so intense and beautiful. Thanks for posting your process. I think it is a good learning tool.

Jonathan said...

Suzanne- Thank you for your comment, the brushes I use are Princeton and Co. synthetic filbert brushes. It varies in size 4 to 6 and at times when I need to put in those fine details I use the really fine single hair brush.

Lori- Thank you Lori I'm still in cloud 9 for winning the competition and being able to be a part of such a wonderful group of artist.

Sandra-Thank you Sandra!

Linda-Thank you as well Linda I appreciate everyones comments!

Paintings by Patricia said...

Great series of cherry paintings. Love this one as it seems as if they are trying to climb up to the board. Thanks you for showing your process.

Jonathan said...

My Pleasure Patricia glad you like the process work!

Judith said...

Jonathan, Thanks for stopping by my blog to comment on my Dandelion painting , It's always appreciated. I really like this cherry series, beautiful colors and values ,nice feeling of light.
How lucky you are to live right by Lake of the Isles , it's such a beautiful place . I hope our paths cross in the Minneapolis painting world.