Friday, July 30, 2010

"Basil 2"

Sold
"Basil 2"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
I wanted to paint these basil leaves again they are a bit difficult too paint especially for a daily painting but I like the challenge.  I also wanted to address an issue that I heard from a friend of mine stating that someone has accused me of using a projector, I just want to let everyone know that I have never used a projector for my paintings.  Truthfully I take it as a compliment who ever thinks that, but again I do not use projectors.
I'm including this photo to show everyone more of my set up of how I paint, I don't paint sight to size I just get close to my subject and try to duplicate what I see onto my canvas.
I started this painting with my usual approach no mediums just a bit of oil on the brush I used viridian and cadmium yellow light for the drawing stage, I wasn't too interested in getting all the details in the drawing stage just get the gesture of the still life.  Then I started with the first pedal going from the darkest values to the lightest ones using ivory black, viridian, cobalt blue, and cadmium yellow light.
I duplicated the process with each leaves and moving towards the right of the canvas, as I was painting I started noticing the leaves starting to droop a bit because they were away from the light or to tell you the truth I don't know why but they where changing shapes pretty quick.
Then I started to add the background to tie it in with the painting and really bring it to a finish, I'm being careful with the edges making sure to soften some areas.
After I established the whole background I noticed that I went too dark on the left side so I lightened it and noticed it worked much better with the contrast in the leaves.
I overall had a good time painting this one, the gestural shapes of the leaves where a lot of fun to try to duplicate.  Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed this one!

4 comments:

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Really graceful painting Jonathon! It is so tricky painting from life when your subject is floral or greenery--honestly it actually begins to droop before your eyes! Wonderful job and excellent teaching presentation as well! :D

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I SO enjoy your teaching presentation Jonathon! It is so VERY helpful to better understand your use of colours and also the different stages within the composition.

You really ARE an inspiration...thank you for sharing!

Warm Regards,
Kerry

Anonymous said...

Loved this! Thanks for sharing it and discussing your process and color choices. I am trying to paint a little basil plant I brought home and it's tricky (for a beginner like me)! Sent me running to the internet to see how other people approach it! I was getting discouraged but your result is so beautiful I think I will try again. Thanks again! Your paintings and website are very inspiring.