Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"Quince"

"Quince"
5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
Hi everyone I wanted to say thank you for voting for me so far, I really really do appreciate everyones help to become the next Daily Painter.  The voting is still on and it ends on the 18th of this month, you can vote for me if you have already done so and also vote for me if you have not, all you have to do is click on this link: http://www.dailypainters.com/blog/content/jonathan-aller  and when your there just click 5 stars and your done!  Again thank you all for your help it means a lot!
I started with a dry brush approach as I do with all my daily paintings, no mediums just a bit of raw umber on the brush.  After the drawing was established I moved onto the shadows, I used ivory black, cadmium orange, and cadmium yellow medium.  Taking each stage I start to a finish, with this stage its much harder to do so since their's no information around the darks to compare the values.  That's why at this stage I do not take the shadows to a complete finish until I have the mid values stated around it.
I started to add the mid values at the next stage, once I did so I was able to go back to the shadows and add more of reflected lighst inside and also darken certain areas that needed to be darken.  For the mid values I used cadmium yellow pale hue, cadmium yellow medium, cobalt blue, and a bit of cadmium orange.  The mid values are always the trickiest areas to paint, its what makes the form turn on the object and where a lot of the values shift from one chroma to another.  Then I added the lighter values, I used titanium white, cadmium yellow pale hue, and a bit of naples yellow.  When this part is taken to a finish I am able to scan within the object and see if I need to push the mid values and shadows further, I also proceeded to add a couple little details here and there.
Then I added the background, I used cerulean blue, naples yellow, and titanium white.  I made sure to go around the edges of the object and soften them to where they needed to be.  After the background was done I moved onto the wooden base, I started with the shadows first I used ivory black, burnt sienna, and cadmium orange.
Then I added the lighter values of the base and brought it to a finish as well, I used naples yellow, burnt umber, and titanium white.  This was a fun painting to do as well, after doing a couple of non fruits and vegetables paintings I'm torn in which ones I like to paint more.  I hope you guys enjoyed this one, thanks for stopping by and viewing.

3 comments:

jesusest@gmail.com said...

Good work jonathan , also the two previous are very nice, it is good tho change subjects. also the settings ,The stage,you can play a lot with differences in color.Cheers, and good luck in your competition.

Debbie Lamedman said...

This is really beautiful Jonathan. I absolutely love the colors. I wish you tons of luck in the competition. Go get 'em!

SEILER said...

Awesome, man your stuff is great!