5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
I first want to let everyone know that I WON the Daily Painters art competition! Thank you so much everyone for voting and supporting me, it was a roller coaster ride but we got it in the end! I am still in disbelief that I won, its been a personal goal of mine to be part of such a great organization. After I found out I won I slept for a couple days straight, the competition took a lot out of me mentally and physically. I am so happy to be painting again, and getting back to a normal routine. Thanks again everyone!
I started with a dry brush approach, no mediums just a bit of raw umber on the brush. After the drawing was complete I started on the orange in the far left, going from the darks first. I used ivory black, cadmium orange, and cadmium yellow light. Making sure to take this stage to a close finish.
Then I started adding the middle values not covering the whole orange, just creeping up to the highlights. I am using cadmium orange, cadmium yellow light, and titanium white. Then I started on the middle orange doing the same as I did with the first orange, starting with the darks and moving slower to the middle and lighter values. Its tricky painting these types of values so close to each other, but a great learning experience.
I then start adding the cast shadows to the painting, to give more of a base, I'm using the same mixture as with the first orange. Then I start adding the middle dark values to the third orange.
I start adding cadmium orange with no mixture to it, and go back to the darks to mesh them together even more. Then when that looked pleasing to me I started to add cadmium yellow light to the top portion of the orange and came down to create the right value shift.
Then I added the cast shadow to the third orange, using the same mixtures as mention before. I then filled the base in with cerulean blue, and titanium white. This started to bring the painting together, I made sure to go around the edges of the cast shadows and blur them to where they needed to be.
Then I added the back ground which was cerulean blue, naples yellow, and titanium white again going around the edges of the oranges and softening them. I went back into the highlights and used titanium white to a thick consistency and added the details. The last pic is the final painting thank you for stopping by and viewing my painting, hope you enjoyed!