Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Yellow Pepper"

"Yellow Pepper"
5 x 7 in
Oil on Canvas Panel
Hi everyone, I know I have mentioned this before but I am really excited about getting into the top 20 of the Daily Painters competition.  It's a big thing for me and its been a long goal of mine to be part of such a prestigious group, now I need to get the most votes I can to move onto the final round of voting.  If you would like to vote for me just click here and all you have to do is click on 5 stars and thats it! Its that easy! I appreciate your help thank you!
I started with the usual dry brush approach no medium just burnt umber on the brush, then I went a different rout with this painting instead of putting the mid dark values first I decided to put the mid light values and lighter values.  It was a good idea but after this experiment I am gonna stay with starting with darker tones first then working up from there.  I used cadmium yellow light, viridian, and titanium white.
Then I added the mid tones which were burnt sienna, burnt umber, and cadmium orange.  I am constantly making sure in each stage that the form is turning and the values look right.  I am also making sure the edges of each stroke I lay down are not distracting.  I then added the darker values of the pepper which was an ivory black with a little of cadmium red.
Then I added the stem in, with the start of the stem I started with the darkest value which was just straight ivory black.  Then I added the mid tone values which were viridian, cobalt blue, and cadmium yellow medium.
I then added the background which was naples yellow and titanium white, I made sure to soften the edge of the pepper when adding the background in.  Then I filled the base in with burnt sienna, burnt umber, cerulean blue, and ivory black.
I went back into the pepper and worked on the mid tone values, softening the edges and blending where it needs to be smoother.  The last pic is of the finished painting, I went into the darker values and pushed the tones more.  I also worked on the cast shadow and reflection on the base.  I think I am done with this series of peppers I did, they were fun to do and now onto the next! Thank you for stopping by and viewing my painting, Hope you enjoyed!

1 comment:

SEILER said...

Awe man, makes me hungry for a Subway sandwich! Awesome man . . . yellow is a hard color to work with, I think anyways . . . really nice work!