Saturday, February 27, 2010

"Habanero Peppers"

Sold
"Habanero Peppers"
8 x 10 in
Oil on Canvas Board
I started with a dry brush, I took the drawing a bit further than usual which helped to get my local tones in there right placements.
I applied a very thin passage my first go around, I went from the mid tones to the lighter tones.  I did the same with the stems.  You can see that I left the lightest lights untouched, I didn't add any color to the area.  I figured there's nothing whiter than the canvas itself so it gives me a good indication how the lights will look in the final result.
I then proceeded and filled in the base and background, I applied thin paint to just get a general feel what colors I'll be playing around with.
I then put more information with the base and went around the peppers and handled the edges in different manners.  I went back into the peppers and started to add the smaller shapes work on the highlights and subtleties.  I was about to leave it in this stage and call it a day but thankfully my girlfriend got a look at the painting and said the dark edges of the peppers where to hard.  I agreed with her 100%, thats why it's a good idea not to work on a painting straight through, well for me it's not.  I think its better when I take a mini-break and come back to it with fresh eyes and see what I have to improve on.
This is the finished painting, I messed around with the colors in photoshop to bring it as true as I can to the original.  I think the original looks better but I guess that goes with any paintings you see in person.  This was a fun painting to do overall, I usually don't work on the weekends but today was just a laid back day and wanted to produce another little painting.  I hope you enjoyed it!


2 comments:

SEILER said...

Man you just keep 'em coming don't you, one beauty after another . . . well done for sure!

RUDHI RĂ¼scher said...

Yah, enjoyed!!!