Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ball point pen drawing!

"Presidents"
7 x 10 in
Ball Point Pen
This is a ball point pen drawing that I did for a buddy of mine that really likes these guys.  They're names are starting with the obvious George Washington, Henry Knox, and Nathaneal Greene.  It was a challenge doing this drawing, first I have never done more than one portrait on a page.  Getting their likenesses was also a little challenging, my process with ballpoint pen to continue with the other post, is that I just dive into the drawing without doing any prep work, I start with really light lines or guidelines to show me the right measurements.  Once that's layed out I go into the darks, or at times I just concentrate on sections of the drawing bringing to an almost finish look enthen move onto the next.  Once I have the whole drawing harmonized and the tones are right, I go in and blend what needs further blending and bring it to a finish. Doing ball point pen is very challenging, I view it as doing charcoal drawings. If you have the right control then it becomes much easier to manipulate the tones.  Hope you enjoy!

3 comments: